Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Feb 10 23:15:55 UTC 2009

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 07:39 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
>>  This admin did read the release notes, and did highlight the change here
>> before getting caught out.
>>
>> He's heard lots of agreement having c-a-bs enabled by default is a good
>> idea, a lot of comments "it isn't really important," but none saying
>> "this change is a good idea."
>>
>> Maybe his memory has failed again.
>
> The above admin should take the argument to the upstream of the
> software.

If I were upstream of any software project, I would expect users of my
software to take it up with their supplier.

Take fetchmail for example. For some years I was a fetchmail user, and I
was on the fetchmail-friends mailing list. Generally, I found the
version of fetchmail unsatisfactory for various reasons, and I used
Eric's version.

Eric did a really excellent job of supporting (probably) a few hundred
users directly (helped by others on the list, of course), and he
implemented changes suggested by many users.

However, there is no way he could have supported all the users of
fetchmail using their versions from Red Hat, Suse, Mandrake, Debian,
*BSD* (and I note it's now in OS X) and so on.

Workload aside, it would be entirely unreasonable to expect Eric to
support Red Hat's package - RH packages it differently (and so does Debian).

The X I have here is (probably) not what is distributed from xorg, why
should they be aware of what distributors have done to it?

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait