Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Feb 11 02:18:00 UTC 2009

Antonio Olivares wrote:

> What is the difference?

Whether Fedora provides the very latest in rawhide is a different
question from how patched it is for the versions it does provide.

> Fedora follows the kernel packages very closely, Openoffice, KDE, GNOME, etc., why are those packages mentioned here not in the same realm, after all I know that ImageMagick releases updates very much, while running rawhide we get lots of new packages every day and why are texlive, ImageMagick and other programs left a bit behind?
>
> I wish I could understand a bit better :(

It differs depending on the package. If it is a library or a core
dependency, maintainers will have to be little more careful in pulling
them in even for rawhide. In the case of TexLive, upstream licensing is
a mess and needs very careful and tedious reviews.

If you follow discussions in fedora-devel list or read Fedora Weekly
News, many such topics are covered frequently.

Rahul