'Joining in' wiki page draft

Christopher Beland beland at alum.mit.edu
Fri Feb 13 21:24:54 UTC 2009

I prefer

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_Join

over

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Johannbg/Draft/QA/join

simply because it's broken up into easier-to-read sections.  If you are
going to put it live, I would create the pages that are currently red
links, at the very least to say something like "Page under construction;
please see [[Testing]] temporarily for information on this topic."
Or just chop up that page and use the pieces as a rough draft of the
page you intend to make.  Otherwise, we will be making some content hard
to find in the name of making things easier to find.

For the "Test Cases" link, current content is split between
[[:Category:Test Plans]] (linked from the "Activities" section on the
front page draft) and [[:Category:Test Cases]].

On the RHCT issue, I would yank that statement entirely.  I agree that
you don't need RHCT-level skills to test Rawhide, you just need to be
able to follow instructions and be willing to host a system that is
broken and needs to be wiped.  Anyone who can install Rawhide in the
first place can "fix" a broken Rawhide system simply by formatting the
hard drive and doing a fresh install of a more stable release.  If the
instructions for installing Rawhide, updating it, testing it, and
reporting bugs are too hard for people to follow, then it is useful to
learn that those instructions need improvement.  It is true that the
more you know about system administration, the easier it will be for you
to diagnose problems yourself and to fix small problems without
reinstalling the entire system.  But we seem to have plenty of testers
right now who are unfamiliar with yum's quirks or the particular
subsystem they are having a problem with, and they are making excellent
contributions.  The wiki should be and is able to teach the basics to
anyone willing to learn.  I don't think we should scare volunteers away
by mentioning a particular level of certification which they don't have.

As for the main page, If I had to pick one, both are great, but

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_QA

looks slightly friendlier than:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Johannbg/Draft/QA

I added a "Trac" link to User:Adamwill/Draft QA, since otherwise this
link would be lost.  Feel free to move or improve it.

-B.