Rawhide: kernel & Yumex

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Tue Feb 17 18:18:11 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:49:46PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:

 > yumex should be handling kernels using the same code from yum.
 >
 > the point is still the same - unless something magical has happened
 > there is no code in yum to migrate from kernel.i686 to kernel-PAE.i686
 > w/o putting in some sort of obsolete. And worthy of note - obsoletes
 > don't take arch specifications.

Obsolete isn't the right thing to do, because if you have a 686 CPU
that can't do PAE, having kernel obsoleted by kernel-PAE is the wrong
thing to do.

 > we should definitely discuss how this upgrade is supposed to work,
 > though I'm inclined to suggest:
 >
 > yum upgrade
 > #if you think you need the PAE kernel
 > yum instal kernel-PAE

If you have kernel.i686 installed, yum update should update it to kernel.i586
Migrating from .i686 -> .i686-PAE is something needs to be done either
by anaconda, or by hand. (Unless you want to add a 'detect PAE' plugin
to yum too).

Before we made the changes to the kernel package, I was told that the 686->586
case would be handled by yum already, but it seems that isn't the case?

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk