Introduction

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Feb 19 22:56:05 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 12:53 -0600, Hunter Bukowski wrote:
> Hi,
>      I'm Danny, a grad student in psychology in Chicago and have a lot
> of basic hardware and software experience but Unix and Linux are still
> a little new to me.  I'm not afraid of a command prompt--  I grew up
> with DOS.  When I have technical problems I am resourceful, patient,
> analytical and able to fix them or find the help I need online.
>
>   I have been building my own computers since 2000,  and know a little
> about networking from setting up a home network and working for a
> telecom company for almost 3 years.  I understand electronics fairly
> well, have excellent written communication and math skills and my
> father and sister are quality control managers (chief mucky muck bug
> squashers) so I guess you could say problem-solving is in our genes.
> And since, in a sense, you are QC too, I believe I'd make an excellent
> match for your Docs Project.  I get real satisfaction in finding the
> source of a problem and fixing it, whether it be in someone's life
> (psychology) or their operating system (Fedora Linux).
>
>      I worked briefly on a project in a technical writing class in the
> past.  Otherwise I have a lot of writing experience (a LOT) in
> fiction, research paper writing, things like that.  I'm a good editor.
> I'm curteous and extremely respectful toward others.  I'm an organizer
> and go-getter.   I like to make an impact and do what needs to be done
> for progress to be made.
>      All of these things make me an excellent match for your project--
> that and the fact that I really want a reason to learn Linux and give
> back to the Fedora community.  I feel easily-accessible, browseable
> and searchable documentation is critical to making Fedora more
> user-friendly.

Hi, Hunter, welcome to the list!

When we talk about QA documentation we're mostly talking about
documenting the things we do here in QA - writing them down so other
groups within and outside Fedora can see and understand our processes.
We are not 'in charge' of writing documentation for Fedora itself, or
the software that makes up Fedora. If you'd like to get involved with
that kind of thing, I can suggest the docs project:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject

Their 'how to join in' page is here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Join

However, we're always grateful for new people in the QA project too, and
it'd be great to have more help with organizing and improving the QA
wiki space, a project some of us have been working on for a few weeks
now. Keep an eye on the list for posts relating to that :). And welcome
again!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey