Service initialization

Christopher Beland beland at alum.mit.edu
Fri Feb 20 15:32:15 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-02-01 at 14:57 -0500, Leam Hall wrote:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/20SecondStartup
>
> I'm missing the point, sorry. A happy me is a machine that does
> requested tasks faster. I boot my laptop once a day, on average. Go pour
> a cup of coffee and do my morning devotions then come and check e-mail.
> My dev servers get booted twice a month or so. If someone is thinking to
> change the init process so that you break lots of stuff to get sub-20
> second boots, I think the focus is way off.
>
> There's nothing wrong with poking rpc to see why so many reads are done
> but you will waste many person-weeks of time getting folks moved to some
> "thing" so they can save a few seconds here.

I actually quite appreciate the work that is being done on this issue.
When I reboot because I'm forced to because of an update or crash, I
want to get back to work as soon as possible, not wander around the
house or the office waiting for my computer to restart.  Fast booting is
especially useful when I bring my laptop to meetings, so I don't keep
people waiting to get the thing started.

It's not just about the time saved, it's about avoiding frustration and
annoyance, which I think is worth the effort.  Especially since it does
influence people's choice of operating system.

-B.