RawhideBlocker [was Re: QA group activities + goals discussion]

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Feb 20 22:07:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 13:44:05 -0800,
  Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 15:27 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 12:51:19 -0800,
> >   Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > No, you don't. It's a test system. You blow it away and re-install, if
> > > you don't know how to fix it.
> >
> > Not if you want me to actually use it for day to day stuff.
>
> Er. Why not? You keep all your day-to-day stuff in your /home directory,
> yes? Why would you have to lose that if you re-installed?

I thought you were suggesting a separate test box.

I do have partitions set up so that I can have two root partitions. That
does provide a fall back if I really hose things up. I generally don't
like to bounce back and forth though and now I am pretty much just using
rawhide and not F10 for my two desktops.

I have found some oddities with sharing /home between two version of Fedora
though. This time around the volume control disappeared.

> I mean, yeah, you lose a bit of time re-installing, but it's not really
> that much. And even with Rawhide, you're not going to have to do it
> every day or anything.

Between doing an initial install, tweaking /etc, updating to current rawhide
and installing a bunch of stuff it is normally going to be faster for me
to fix whatever broke rather than reinstall. However, I can see where other
people might find a reinstall easier.