Reminder: Bug Triage Meeting Tomorrow (Tuesday) @ 15:00 UTC

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 13:50:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 01:32:13PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 13:23 -0500, TK009 wrote:
> > Bug Triage Meeting
> > irc.freenode.net #fedora-meeting
> > Tuesday @ 15:00 UTC/10 AM EST
> >
> > Agenda
> >
> > BugZappers signatures for bugzilla - iarlyy was working on the
> > greasemonkey script and I believe has it finished.
> >
> > Bug Triage Days
> > Discuss implementing  bug triage days.
> >
> > Anything missed or something you'd like added to the agenda, please add
> > it here.
>
> Could we talk about having a mentoring system for new triagers?
>
> Getting started triaging is the sort of thing that benefits from
> personal advice. We have a few people who are enthusiastic about joining
> in with Bugzappers, but the path isn't that well-laid out at present...I
> think a mentoring system might help.

Agreed.  This helped me when I started triaging bugs a while back.
(Granted, I haven't had time to do many lately, but there was a short
period where I was pretty active.)

Allow me to be a little pie-in-the-sky for a moment.  This need is one
of the reasons I'm so excited about Moksha[1].  Its live collaborative
apps will eventually allow us to plop someone down in a web-based
interface that gives them instant connection to bugzilla feeds, IRC
chat, etc.  It should also be able to introduce them to the group, so
they don't have to go through all the steps our group-joining
processes currently require.

A mentor seeing the introduction in the IRC channel could pop up like
a groundhog and say, "Hi <Joe>, I see you're interested in triaging,
and that you're using the Fedora Community portal.  If you look on the
left side of your web page you'll see a list of new Rawhide bugs.
Would you like me to help you triage bug #<NNNNNN> so you can get a
feel for how this works?"

Anyway, that's the pie-in-the-sky vision.  Let's not waste time on
this thread picking it apart or finding other things we could add to
it.  I only mention it because the idea of mentoring is so important
to Fedora as a contributor-centric project.  We must be prepared with
a process and people to support new contributors who are interested in
getting their hands dirty, starting from the minute they show up.  The
longer it takes for us to take advantage of that enthusiasm, the more
it wanes.

= = =
[1] http://fedorahosted.org/moksha