clock riddle

Michel Salim michel.sylvan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 14:47:16 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 06:08:44PM -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> Once.  And not the next time.  There is this "keep_always".

You have a valid security concern, but expressing it in a riddle --
does it not smack a bit of "security by obscurity"? It does not help
anyone, though it seems to gain you some attention, at least.

Reading your initial posts, until you gave us specifics, it sounded as
if you said "these actions do not need authentication!" rather than
"your authorizations persist forever by default". The former is a
security hole, the latter is not as bad -- it's a bad default,
arguably.

I actually like OS X's control panel. It tells you, when viewing any
settings, which action is currently unlocked (authorized) and which
ones are not. We have System->Prefs->System->Auths in GNOME (and the
equivalent in KDE), but that's another place to look, it's not as
intuitive.

--
miʃel salim  •  http://hircus.jaiku.com/
IUCS         •  msalim at cs.indiana.edu