clock riddle

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 15:18:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 15:25 -0700, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> [...]> The KDE
> > clock applet doesn't allow you to change the time (just the timezone)
>
> If that is a global change, and not how time is displayed on this
> specific desktop, that this is bad enough.

It isn't. It affects the displayed time on the desktop. The system's
view of the timezone does not change.

>  Most timestamps in
> system logs are in local time with no zone indication.  Besides not
> much prevents you to login into a different type of a sessions and I
> asked this: if you can modify clocks as you please then do you think
> that this is insignificant, minor hiccup or really bad. I am still
> interested in answers.

AFAIK you can only change the system timezone via the root password.
Again, this is KDE. I've no idea what Gnome does. Obviously if it allows
a change like this without authentication then it's broken, but of
course it wouldn't be able to do it if the system didn't let it.

poc