trying to get a WUXGA virtual desktop and WUXGA external video?

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Tue Feb 24 16:28:57 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 10:01 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > [1] - Assuming sufficient memory bandwidth, but you almost certainly
> > have enough.
>
>   ah, there's the rub -- i'm assuming you mean video processor memory,
> yes?  which means if i have a sufficiently old laptop, i should check
> carefully what my video card is.  in my case, one of my laptops has a
> 1280x800 display, with an ATI radeon xpress 200M -- i can't remember
> how much video memory that has but it's possible that it simply
> doesn't have enough for this, correct?

1280 * 800 * 4 * 3 = 12288000

12.25M.  4 for the four bytes per pixel, three for the three big 3D
buffers, front back and depth.  You probably want at least 32M of memory
for that configuration to comfortably fit all the offscreen pixmaps and
textures you're likely to use, but you almost certainly have that much
if not more.

Note that I said "bandwidth" though.  1920x1200x4 bytes per frame, times
sixty frames per second, is about 540M/sec that you need to be able to
stream out of video memory.  There are _some_ chips you can still find
where this is more bandwidth than you've actually got to work with, but
they're typically server chips like Radeon RN50, not things you find in
laptops.

>   and what inspired this query was this:
>
>    http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9018910434.html
>
> that netbook has an HDMI port and i would *dearly* love to be able to
> use it to generate full WUXGA output on that port.  has anyone else
> done that?  used a netbook of some flavour running fedora to drive a
> full WUXGA display?

It's not clear from the article what graphics chip that has, but I
suspect it's a Poulsbo.  Poulsbo doesn't really have open driver support
yet.  I'll refrain from giving my opinion about that.

Once we do have a driver for it, though, it should be able to push
1920x1200 just fine.

But I mean, I've driven 1920x1200 with an asus eee over VGA.  Lighting
that mode up is well within the capabilities of low-end chips.
Animating a scene that large at the full framerate might be a different
story, but that's always been true.

- ajax