missing dependency python(abi) = 2.5 for package: ...

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 3 18:34:41 UTC 2009

--- On Sat, 1/3/09, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:

> From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to>
> Subject: Re: missing dependency python(abi) = 2.5 for package: ...
> To: "Antonio Olivares" <olivares14031 at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "glenn" <gsimpson at mountaincable.net>, fedora-test-list at redhat.com
> Date: Saturday, January 3, 2009, 10:18 AM
> On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 10:12:44 -0800,
>   Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > It might be better to remove all packages with python
> and their dependencies and then reinstall them.  This way
> everything gets updated and moved on.  Otherwise he would
> have to update everytime selectively and skip those packages
> time and time again till they would get resolved :)
>
> Did you actually try that? I wouldn't recommend that as
> a lot of stuff depends
> on python (including yum). If someone is having trouble
> handling a yum update,
> they probably aren't going to have much luck doing an
> update using what's
> left of the system after removing python and all of
> it's dependencies.

I looked at the packages with the conflicts and I removed them either with rpm -e or with yum erase package_name.rpm.  Then I ran yum update successfully.  At that time, only about 3 or 4 packages were removed so that I can yum update.  At this time, this might be different but it worked for me.  I have 3 machines running rawhide, only 1 fails to load X it freezes and does nothing.  It works on level 3 though.  YMMV with removing the packages with the conflicts.

Regards,

Antonio