Where has the F10 DVD iso file gone?

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Sat Jan 3 05:01:47 UTC 2009

> Do you really not have any idea how much work gets put into the snapshot
> releases?  Let alone something that wouldn't be "snapshot, if it breaks,
> you keep the pieces" quality, but instead something high enough quality
> to put the Fedora name and official release stamp on it.
>
> You seriously seriously underestimate the amount of work that goes into
> these things, particularly the QA side.
>
> Lets not even talk about how many of the tools that Anaconda uses to
> install systems change within a release enough to require modifications
> to Anaconda to work with the new versions.
>
> There is a good reason why the "Fedora Project" doesn't spend time on
> respins.  6 months is a very short cycle between major releases,
> especially when you consider all the developmental releases done from
> Rawhide.  Adding more compose targets to that mix greatly stretches the
> already small handful of volunteers and employees who spend their time
> trying to make these things show up, try to improve the software used
> for making them, and try to improve the software used for building and
> testing Fedora.

OK - So if that's true, they why did the Fedora Project make such a
hoopla about being able to do custom spins and respins in the first
place? You can't have this both ways.

This sounds like more excuses to cover for that we haven't really gone
back and looked into what it would take to optimize a set of very
important processes so people don't have to be overworked in the first
place.

Why are we not questioning Anaconda as something that isn't capable of
handling the current and likely to accelerate rate of change?

Why is the testing procedure so complex and daunting? And if it's such a
big deal, why then are updates that come out post-spin NOT considered to
be in need of the same degree of testing? After all, they get the
official Fedora Project seal of quality too.

Just to check it out, I just reloaded a system with a fresh copy of
32-bit F10 Live from the CD. This is an older system that was running
F8, but it has 1GB RAM and a 2.4GHz Pentium processor. Time to install,
including updates and not including adding any additional packages, was
just over 2 hours, and more than half of that time was devoted to
downloading and installing the updates. Adding the extra custom packages
after the updates is faster than installing everything I need from DVD
and then running updates on all of it. I'd be here all night. Instead, I
can queue up the extra packages I want from Yum Extender and let it run
all night.

...And that, by the way, is exactly why this is an issue many people
have.

If this is too hard, change review and optimize the process and improve
the tools - and do it before we add even more features and complexity to
Fedora lest the problem get even bigger.

...And please stop it with the "Let Fedora Unity" do it tripe. Unless
and until Fedora Unity is an officially sanctioned and supported part of
the Fedora Project, this is the Fedora Project's issue. Fedora Unity is
doing the Fedora Project a favor by trying to help solve a problem that
the Fedora Project, to date, has only made excuses about as opposed to
thinking outside of the box and looking for solutions.

--
By all means marry;

--Socrates