Fedora 10 on an HP EVO D510

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sat Jan 3 16:59:54 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 05:03:24PM +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> >
> >Not entirely true but indeed a default way to do that is through
> >a NetworkManager (a.k.a. NetworkMangler) and that assumes a graphic
> >environment.  It is always possible to bring wireless up using
> >iwconfig and/or wpa_supplicant but this is relatively "low level".
> >
> >>Note, I've not seen any documentation of how to do this for Fedora,
> >
> >'man iwconfig' (with a section "SEE ALSO") and 'man wpa_supplicant'.
>
> I'm well versed in those, but that's not an acceptable way for general use.

I am not sure what is "an acceptable way" according to your criteria
but I thought that you wanted a wireless connection while in a text
mode and before fixing other issues.  Adding wpa_supplicant.conf
entries is not exactly a black magic.

Once you will have X sorted out then NM should be operational.

> >>I was quite surprised though to find it's eth0 in F10 (at least some of
> >>the time), it used to be eth1
> >
> >Something else already took eth0.  Do you have a wired interface
> >on this board?  Names and assignments can be changed but they are
> >written "automagically" in udev rules and kept for later.  Dig a bit
> >in files in /etc/udev/rules.d/ and you will find that out.
>
> You misunderstood me. The wireless came up as eth0.

And?  Something enumerated it first.  If you dislike it then edit that
in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. A comment there says
"# You can modify it, as long as you keep each rule on a single line".

> ... or ath0 or
> something depending on the author's inclination.

"ath" prefix is used for Atheros driver handled interfaces.  These
names are really conventional anyway (although I did not experiment
to see if NM will not choke on something "unusual").  Check
'man ifrename' even if udev rules really overtook it.

It appears that all your troubles with F10 really boil down to a bug
in an X driver for Intel chipsets.  Why this was released that way I
have no idea; especially that this used to work fine in the past.  A
significant number of machines already was or will be hit by that.

   Michal