IRQ Conflict

Curtis George rhlinux123 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 5 02:39:05 UTC 2009

Thanks for the info, I have discovered some interesting things recently.  I went ahead and reverted to Fedora 9 since I knew that one worked for me and found that the IRQ is being shared by the same 3 devices.  I then updated the kernel on Fedora 9 to 2.6.27 (which is also what Fedora 10 starts out with) and got the same IRQ disabled messages and sure enough my computer locked up within a few minutes of booting that kernel.  Luckily I still had the 2.6.25 kernel installed, so I booted into that one instead.

Does this mean there is a possible problem with the 2.6.27 kernel?  What is the actual cause of this problem?

If you do a google search on Linux IRQ Disabled you will find that this problem has existed in various forms without identifying the actual cause.  I should mention that I cannot move around my devices (they are either builtin or using the only compatible slot).  I also do not have a disable PnP OS option in BIOS.  I also saw a suggestion to change the SATA mode to AHCI in BIOS instead of IDE, but I don't have that option either (for me only RAID or non-RAID).  This worked from some, but I think in their case the ata device was involved in the interrupt that was being disabled.

- Curtis George