libglib-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 8 00:59:10 UTC 2009

Dear fellow testers,

I try to yum update one of my machines, I have 3 only 2 have been fully updated to rawhide current.
I get the following:

I run
# yum clean all
There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum.  The error leading to the problem was:

  libglib-2.0.so.0:  cannot open shared object file:  No such file or directory

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It is possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.6 (r26:66714, Dec 10 2008, 15:22:38)
[GCC 4.3.2 20081105 (Red Hat 4.3.2-7)]

If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
the yum faq at:

http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq

===================================

I have run ldconfig several times as root and message appears.
BTW on this machine I have lost X for a good while, I have ATI video card and only login to level 3 to apply updates, but since yesterday I cannot yum update this machine :(

If I type poweroff as regular user I see the message:

poweroff:  error while loading shared libraries:  libglib-2.0.so.0:  cannot open shared object file:  No such file or directory

Have to become root su -
and
shutdown -h now

Thank you in advance for guiding me to correct this problem.  Machine also runs ext4 filesystem in case it is important?

Regards,

Antonio