New kernel doesn't complete booting

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Jan 11 16:30:29 UTC 2009

David wrote:
> Antonio M wrote:
>> kernel-2.6.29-0.24.rc0.git13.fc11.i686 doesn' complete booting on my
>> i386 system and stops just after writing the very first lines on my
>> screen.
>> Anyone else with same experience???

Yes, just an hour or so ago. Not with Fedora though.

> Unless they changed this when I was not looking the last line that
> displays is the last 'event' in the loading order that succeeded. The
> 'event' that failed does *not* display.

Mostly, what you said is so, David, but there is some randomness in the
order messages appear as modules get loaded and go about their business
and sometimes some things take longer than others with the result
there's some variation in the actual order of messages. And sometimes,
there might be _some_ messages about something before it collapses. My
system had messages about disk drives, then the floppy, then more about
disks, and another about the floppy. At that point it went 100% CPU bound.

I've just had another look at _my_ problem and it seems it hung during
testing the IDE devices. Unless those messages were in a buffer but not
yet written to the console.

--

Cheers
John