Cloning bugs for each release considered harmful (was: Re: Updating the "Version" field in bugzilla)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Jan 21 18:39:59 UTC 2009

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> You can also clone the bug and have one for each version.

Well, maybe some maintainers like that, but my standpoint is: please don't!

We generally know what releases are affected by a given bug, we'll just push
the fix everywhere once we have one. Having multiple bugs for the same
issue is annoying. So for stuff I (co)maintain, don't be surprised if I
close your cloned bug as a duplicate and complain about the unnecessary
cloning.

This is also something I really dislike about the security bug procedure.
One bug per release may make sense for RHEL, but for Fedora it's just an
annoyance.

        Kevin Kofler