Can rawhide be more bleeding edge? (e.g. kdepim)

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Jan 27 08:19:27 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 21:46 -0600, Jerry Amundson wrote:

>  Given, rawhide already lives up to it's reputation for most packages.
> But can it go even further for the source already included within it?
> The nitty-gritty question:
> Is there policy, or guide of some kind, for the enabling of disabled
> upstream code in rawhide?
>
> Specific example: a dozen-line patch in kdepim's akonadi will enable
> the openchange resource. As long as it doesn't "break stuff" it's a
> win-win, right?

If one of the maintainers tests a build with the patch and is willing to
maintain the patch, then I don't see any problem.

The only thing worth thinking about is why upstream haven't enabled the
feature? Is it known to be completely broken? Is it likely to get
removed again in the future? Is this patch going to be included in the
next upstream release?

But these are all just judgement calls for the maintainer to make.

The key thing with rawhide (IMHO) is that, while you want to include
bleeding edge stuff, you don't want to break things so badly that your
testers can't continue to use rawhide.

Cheers,
Mark.