2009-07-01 - Fedora QA meeting agenda [Reporting Virtualization bugs]

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Wed Jul 1 14:31:17 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 14:55 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 09:18 -0400, James Laska wrote:
> >         5. Improve Bug Reporting proposal
> >
> > (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Johannbg/QA/Improve_reporting) -
> > update from viking_ice
>
> Just quoting some snippets from the "Lack of needed information"
> section:
>
>   "the triager has no better clue what to include in the report"
>
>   "The problem is that the maintainer(s) them self have failed to
>    provide this information"
>
>   "Contact FESCO and ask them to set this rule and enforce it."
>
>   "New components will not be let into Fedora without this information"
>
>   "To handle the existing components in Fedora I propose that we file a
>    report ... If they do not respond ... the component in question will
>    enter the removal phase"
>
> I don't think having FESCo approve and enforce rules for every aspect of
> package maintenance is a healthy or scalable way for us to encourage
> maintainers to do a better job.
>
> Suggesting that a package should be removed from Fedora because the
> package maintainer hasn't filled out some details in a wiki for bug
> reporters is fairly absurd.
>
> A better way to approach this would be for triagers to start a wiki page
> for the component with the kind of questions the maintainer typically
> requests, show the maintainer how useful that page is in getting good
> bug reports and encourage the maintainer to help improve the wiki page
> further.
>
> Please try to aim for more positive and collaborative solutions.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark.
>
> (On a related note, I haven't had much feedback on:
>
>   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Reporting_virtualization_bugs
>
>  suggestions on how to improve it are most welcome)

All good points Mark.  That was a positive outcome from this discussion
in last weeks meeting
(https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2009-June/msg00683.html).  What has started to mature is a entry point to assist testers in filing quality bug reports: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Debugging.

As the QA team makes these pages part of our daily workflow and
communication during the Fedora 12 campaign, I expect to see more
feedback come as folks walk through the steps outlined.  In other
interesting news that Adam might have more information on next week.  It
seems like there may be some efforts starting to coordinate these pages
with other distributions into a single upstream repository.

Thanks,
James