Inconsistent Internet access

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Fri Jul 17 17:47:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 05:16:02PM +0000, Will Woods wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 13:10 -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
>
> > Ok, a little more playing around indicates that what happened to me was
> > install nss-mdns i586 which happened when I installed chrome.
> >
> > Apparently this is what makes the change to /etc/nsswitch.conf  IF I
> > also install nss-mdns.x86_64, everything is fine.  If I remove it, and
> > leave the mdns line in /etc/nsswitch.conf most things (ssh, ftp,
> > w3m--though not GUI browsers) break.  If I comment out the mdns line in
> > nsswitch.conf, all is well again.  If I leave in the line and reinstall
> > nss-mdns.x86_64 everything is fine.
> >
> > So, my guess is, that at least for me, if you don't already have
> > nss-mdns for 64 bit on a 64 bit system, then install something that
> > pulls in the i586 version, like I did with chrome, you will have trouble
> > due to that line in nsswitch.conf
>
> wine (which is also 32-bit only) does the same thing:
> [wwoods at metroid ~]$ rpm -q --requires wine-core | grep mdns
> nss-mdns(x86-32)
>
> So look out for that if you've got wine or chromium installed on an
> x86_64 system. It was mentioned on rawhidewatch last week:
> http://rawhidewatch.wordpress.com/2009/07/09/

Interesting. I have had wine on this machine for awhile without that
problem.  (Maybe an older version that didn't pull in nss-mdns?)  Or
perhaps removing something else removed the 64 bit version.

(Ah, I see that this has to do with a recent change.)

Thanks for the tip. With a recent post on the forums about installing
chrome, I should probably make a sticky there.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6