RCs for Everyone (was One (more) week slip of Fedora 11 Release)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 16:58:28 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 10:27 AM, Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 11:47 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>>>
>>> Everyone seeds for people, the server should not be seeding more than 1-2
>>> clients, who then seed other, and others, leaving the server to do only
>>> bookkeeping.
>>
>> This is the classic torrent problem, particularly with rapid torrents.
>
> Wrong. This is the nature of torrenting. It seems you are dead-set against
> bittorrent so this will be my last discussion on it.

In the end the variables that need to be looked at are:
A = number of primary seeds.
B = size of the data being blocked off.
C = time it takes to get to the primary seeds
D = time it takes to get a download from those seeds.
E = Amount of time that the data is useful.

There are also limiting factors in the number of networks that allow
bittorrent. Many ISPs and backbones bandwidth shape it down or limit
the number of peers a person can see. There is also whether the
bandwidth is asyncrynous or not.

Ok the next part is all about experience without any actual numbers
put to it. From experience seeing previous downloads.. the number of
primary peers is 1-2. [Now when having to deal with pirated music,
movie, or game dvd the numbers are usually a lot higher.]

The amount of time to get the seeds ready is 4 hours and due to other
restrictions a lot of people seem to take 8-16 hours to get a download
done via bittorrent. If they do not (or cannot) peer that makes things
slower. That basically says that testing 1/day is not feasible for
accurate data. Maybe 1/week is possible but it all depends on the
number of sites that are willing to be primary peers and with
bandwidth costs going up.. my guess is that is a limited amount.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux