2009-06-17 - Fedora QA meeting Recap

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Wed Jun 17 19:22:02 UTC 2009

Full IRC transcript available at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Meetings/20090617.

= Attendees =

* Adam Williamson (adamw)
* Will Woods (wwoods)
* James Laska (jlaska)
* Jesse Keating (f13)

Guest appearances by:
* Mel Chua (mchua)
* Kevin Fenzi (nirik)
* Ricky Zhou (ricky)

= Agenda =

== Previous meeting follow-up ==

# [stickster] - who will be handling release_notes bugs to help with
{{bz|499585}}
# [adamw] - propose draft wording of minimal requirements for the
release_notes team to digest
#* i did the minimal requirements stuff on the bug (see {{bz|499585}})
#* Ball now in the fedora-release-notes court, but since Adamw is a docs
team member now, he might help raise this issue through the docs
channels

== F-11 Retrospective feedback ==

[[User:poelstra|John Poelstra]] hosted a F-11 Retrospective (aka
post-mortem) yesterday (see
[https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2009-June/msg00503.html meeting recap]).  The meeting was a cool mix of communication channels which included using gobby and a phone conference call.  [[User:jlaska]] just wanted to briefly chat about experiences from that meeting, or the preparation done by the QA group leading up to the meeting.

[[User:jlaska]] gathered the QA talking points for the meeting ahead of
time (see [[QA/Meetings/20090603#F-11_QA_Post-mortem_discussion]]).  Did
folks think that worked well, needed more/less prep from QA.  Were your
concerns appropriately raised?

* adamw noted it felt like he came from the future, and that the format
worked well
* f13 indicated 2 positive notes:
*# many people recognized the efforts QA and bugzappers were putting
into the release
*# many people recognized that more of that efforts and better tooling
around those efforts will again have positive effect

jlaska asked if there was anything we'd want to change for next time ...
in terms of recording pain points so we don't forget them?

* f13 noted ... ''just like with the FAD, the proof will be in the
pudding. If after a months time, nothing came of the talk, then I don't
think it worked well.  however if after a month's time, we have some
progress on what people thing went poorly (or more effort in what people
thing went well) then I think it'll have been a success.''

jlaska took an action item to update the [[QA/Goals]] document to
reflect renewed focus around FAD proposals and Fedora 11 retrospective
feedback.

jlaska asked if the team felt we should be using gobby or phone for QA
meetings?   Consensus was that IRC was the most accessible method for
hosting QA team meetings, and that gobby/phone would be better suited
for more content driven collaborative meetings.

Nirik pointed to
http://www.dissociatedpress.net/2009/06/03/pros-and-cons-of-irc-meetings/

== QA Review of related FAD topics ==

Jlaska and wwoods were discussing the israwhidebroken.com proposal and
wanted to raise awareness to folks who haven't yet provided feedback or
reviewed the FAD proposals.  f13 sent mail to the list with background
details (see
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2009-June/msg00385.html).  The propals are:

* [[Milestone_Adjustment_Proposal]]
* [[Israwhidebroken.com_Proposal]]
* [[Koji_Build_Autosign_Proposal]]
* [[Critical_Path_Packages_Proposal]]
* [[No_Frozen_Rawhide_Proposal]]

If you haven't read the proposals and added your
questions/concerns/ideas to the ''Discussion'' tab of each page.  Please
take a few minutes to do so.  Several of these proposals have a larger
impact to maintainers and consumers of rawhide.

== AutoQA Update ==

Wwoods provided an update on the autoqa project (see
http://autoqa.fedorahosted.org).

www.israwhidebroken.com (hereinafter irb.com) can be thought of as a
simple proof-of-concept of an AutoQA system. the goals for irb.com are
basically a simple set of tests running automatically in response to a
trigger (new rawhide being built) with public results reported  that's
autoqa!

[[User:wwoods]] set irb.com as the first milestone for the autoqa
project and filed a buncha tickets that outline the plan at
https://fedorahosted.org/autoqa/milestone/israwhidebroken.com.  Will
outlined a rough schedule for completing various tasks that lead up to
the Fedora 12 Alpha release.

f13 gave an update on his work with Lucas Rodrigues (lmr) to help
package autotest (the test scheduler the autoqa project intends to use).
It's a difficult beast to package, and has a few unpackaged
dependencies, including [http://code.google.com/webtoolkit google web
toolkit].  Wwoods indicated he would continue with outlined tasks and
adjust as needed should any issues surface from the packaging efforts.

Wwoods will lead efforts to create a rawhide acceptance test plan and
test cases in time for next weeks meeting (June 24).

== Open Discussion ==

Unfortunately, the meeting ran over and bumped into another time slot.
The following items were planned for open discussion, but no time was
available.  These will be reviewed on the mailing list or planned for
the next meeting.

=== Fedora 12 Schedule update ===

[[User:poelstra|John Poelstra]] proposed:

 There have been a few different conversations about adding more
granularity
 to the schedule, more blocker bug days, and making the hand-off
between
 releng and QA clearer.
 I've taken a shot at doing that here:
 http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-12/f-12-releng-tasks.html
 (right now releng is the most detailed and complete... I'll create
other
 team schedules for QA, etc. after we get the kinks out of this one.)

Detailed discussion on the topic is available on the fedora-test-list at
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2009-June/msg00507.html

=== Mediawiki + Semantic update ===

[[User:mchua|Mel Chua]] and [[User:jlaska|James Laska]] had a follow-on
discussion to the Fedora 11 retrospective meeting discussing remaining
plans for the mediawiki and semantic proof of concept.  Mel was
instrumental in designing the framework used by the laptop.org QA team.
No updates as of yet, but Mel might be available to help setup a demo
instance to gather feedback.  Hopefully more information on this topic
next week...

= Upcoming QA events =

* 2009-06-23 - [[BugZappers/Triage_days]]
* 2009-06-24 16:00 UTC - Next QA Meeting [[QA/Meetings/20090624]]

= Action items =

* [jlaska] - update [[QA/Goals]] wiki document
* [wwoods] - updates on Rawhide acceptance test plan