Fedora 11 x86_64 yum update failures from updates-testing

stan gryt2 at q.com
Mon Jun 29 14:45:47 UTC 2009

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 00:46:56 -0600
Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 10:31:42AM -0700, stan wrote:
> > These errors are generated when I do individual yum updates on the
> > packages from updates-testing.
> >
> > Transaction Check Error:
> >   file /usr/bin/gauche-cesconv conflicts between attempted installs
> > of gauche-0.8.14-1.fc11.x86_64 and gauche-0.8.13-3.fc11.i586
> You are attempting to install, for whatever reasons, two different
> versions, instead of the same one, of a package for two different
> architectures.  Something of that sort is bound to generate conflict
> reports for every file, with possible rare exceptions, from packages
> involved.

I have only four x86_64 gauche packages installed.  I said yum update
with updates-testing active and I have exactarch=1 set in yum.conf.
So I didn't pull this in deliberately, it came in as a dependency for
some reason.

> One possibility is that your mirror provides in the given moment an
> updated package for x86_64 and only an old one for i?86 (or the
> other way around).  Just try later when a mirror sync will be
> complete.
>
> Otherwise you can try to add '--exclude="*.i?86"' to yum flags.  If
> this will error out then messages may give you some clues for real
> causes.

This cleared it up.  gauche and gauche-devel are updated, but
gauche-gl and gauche-gtk are not and are dependent on the previous
version, so it tried to pull in the i586 version to satisfy that
dependency in order to update gauche and gauche-devel.  Just need to
wait for the gauche-gl and gauche-gtk packages to be updated and this
will work.

> BTW - do you really need 'gauche' as "multilib"?  De-installing a
> spurious variant before attempts to update could be an answer too.

As noted above, there are no gauche.i586 packages on my system, so this
was pulled in by dependency resolution.

>    Michal

Thank you for the information.