Aspire one and latest kernels

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Mar 2 00:45:22 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 07:20:18PM -0500, Kyle McMartin wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 06:57:45PM -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> >

> > However, I'm finding the following.
> > The ISO installation kernel works without problems.
> >
> > However, each upgraded kernel tends to kernel panic 3 times out of every
> > five. (That's an estimate.)  Restarting a few times usually enables me
> > to boot.
> >

> Is this i586? It seems a lot worse off than PAE for some reason. In case
> case, it seems to be one of the kernel debugging options that are pwning
> things. I'm trying to sort out which one and what's broken, but that
> will take a while. If you'd like to try the latest rawhide with
> debugging off, try this kernel (kernel-firmware from koji would be
> fine.)

> http://kyle.fedorapeople.org/rawhide/nodebug/kernel-2.6.29-0.176.rc6.git5.fc10.i586.rpm

Yes, it is i586--the AA1 won't handle x86_64.  I've just installed your
kernel and rebooted 5 times without error. so, I think that indicates
that you're probably right that it's something in debugging.

Thanks very very much. As mentioned in the first post, I won't have this
machine long enough to test it once you've fixed it, but it looks as if
you're on the right track.

Many thanks.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Angel: She murdered a man right in front of me, and I can't
even testify to that fact in a court of law.
Cordelia: Well, maybe in night court you could...