Re: monstrous failure of "yum update" on fedora 11 alpha

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, John Summerfield wrote:

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
  i decided to "yum update" my f11 alpha system and, after downloading
some 1500 packages, it went to work, unpacking about 500 packages
before every single package after that generated an unpacking error.

  has anyone else had a successful "yum update"?
I've had enough of brokenware for the present, I can't do what I
want on Fedora, but I can on Windows.

  i'm having similar thoughts.  i realize that an alpha release is
meant to be an adventure but trying to do that "yum update" rendered
my system totally unusable, to the point where booting to runlevel 3

Before anyone thinks to flame me, I do understand the hazards of Fedora and more particularly its bleeding-edge versions. I just don't want to expose myself to them any more, I've been having computing adventures for 40 years.

showed that the "yum" command didn't even exist anymore.  at that
point, i just re-installed from scratch because it wasn't salvageable.
but i'm still curious -- has anyone else performed a successful full
update?  should you be able to?

However, I wonder
1. Do you not have a separate /boot?

  default layout so, yes, /boot -> /dev/sda1.

That's one place you could run out of space.

2. Are you using tmpfs in crucial places?

  not explicitly.  as in, not apart from the system defaults.

and they are?

--

Cheers
John