ok, laptops loaded up and ready for testing

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Mar 5 12:55:01 UTC 2009

  here's the current situation if anyone wants to suggest tests.  i
have my two gateway MX7120s installed with fedora 11 alpha -- one with
i386, the other with x86_64 -- virtually identically (about 1550
packages on each).

  the first difference is that, at the end of the install, when i
rebooted, the i386 install rebooted cleanly while the x86_64 install
flashed a screenful of kernel diagnostics on its way down, but it
still booted cleanly coming back up again.  not sure what that was all
about.

  at this point, before i do *anything*, should i take note of the
current setup in any way?  suggestions?  my first step would be to
update the yum/rpm packages but, to do that, i would first update
"fontpackages-filesystem" since its original packaging conflicted with
"rpm-build" which i installed, so my proposed first step would be:

  # yum update fontpackages-filesystem
  # yum update rpm\*
  # yum update yum

does that make sense?  but even before i do that, i'm still open to
what i should record in terms of current config.

  thoughts?

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.