Re: Interesting comments

Adam Williamson wrote:

Mentors should, I think, be encouraged to ask, "Why?" rather than assert "that's wrong."

Why do you think that?
Have you considered...?

Yeah, on a case-by-case basis I've been encouraging new triagers to get
in touch with the maintainers of the components they're triaging. In
general it's a good principle to have a decent working relationship with
the maintainers.

That's all good.

Are communications private, or public? Being publick would be beneficial when a triager moves on, maybe being promoted package maintainer, and/or someone else becomes involved as the new triager.

Also, some could be good examples for training. I had problems with 2.6.25 kernels, reported a bug (several maybe, but I'm thinking of one in particular). I reported it against the kernel, someone changed it to mkinitrd and I explained why I thought that was wrong.

I also spent(wasted) a lot of time building alternative kernels and testing them and trying to make the initrd stop at sensible places.

nash is a royal pain.

And that, Kevin K if you're listening, is why I'm not willing to spend even more time futzing around with Linux trying to make it do what I want to do, instead of doing what I want to do.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait