man vs info vs texinfo files

Per Bothner per at bothner.com
Fri Mar 6 16:35:26 UTC 2009

On 03/06/2009 08:09 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Per Bothner wrote:
>> (1) Gnome/KDE help viewers and similar programs should not
>> display pre-formatted info files, but instead either
>> (a) format texinfo files on the fly, or
>
> KDE's info: kioslave does exactly that already.

I believe you're mistaken.  It uses info2html - i.e. it
starts with info files.

I'm suggesting "texinfo2html" - which might be just
   makeinfo --html

> That said, not everything is
> reflowed, some stuff is put into preformatted blocks. Try firing up e.g.
> info:pinfo in Konqueror to see how it looks like.

I don't have pinfo installed and yum is hosed (on my laptop).
But I tried info:tar.  It does *not* reflow.  Nor does
it use any font except a mono-space font.  And links
cannot go a specific location in a page, just a page as a whole.
--
	--Per Bothner