Re: When will Fedora work again?

--- On Sun, 3/8/09, Antonio M <antonio montagnani gmail com> wrote:

> From: Antonio M <antonio montagnani gmail com>
> Subject: Re: When will Fedora work again?
> To: "For testers of Fedora Core development releases" <fedora-test-list redhat com>
> Date: Sunday, March 8, 2009, 8:26 AM
> 2009/3/8 Deependra Singh Shekhawat
> <deepsa fedoraproject org>:
> >

> > On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 8:42 PM, Antonio M
> <antonio montagnani gmail com>
> > wrote:

> upgraded to support latest
> >> >

> >> oldish chipset??? do you mean that old hardware
> should not be
> >> supported by Fedora???
> >
> > Yes.
> >>

> and what is meant by old hardware?? two years, five years
> or what
> else??? where can I find the definition of old computer and
> the
> related guidelines for Fedora???
> I want to know as at the moment I am running rawhide on an
> old PII-400
> MHz with 256 Mb and a cirrus graphic card about ten years
> old: and I
> suppose that I am not the only one around...
>
> --
> Antonio Montagnani
> Skype : antoniomontag
>
> --

I am scratching my head on this one, I have a 6 yr old machine with Nvidia chipset and I have no X, pending updates from rawhide report 20090306(they did not come in -0.207 kernel which fixes this and a 3 yr old laptop Toshiba and I have no working X on both.  Ironically only a 9 yr old machine with 512 MB ram, Ati card running rawhide is working correctly right now.

You are not the only one around. I believe Fedora should support most things, if not then what is it good for?  Most likely testers will give up and move to another distro that supports their hardware.  Why should users have to move to new hardware just so that they can run Fedora on it?

Otherwise, in the FAQ/Wiki please post what hardware is not supported so that users won't even bother installing Fedora in the first place.

Regards,

Antonio