can't post to newsgroups in TB3

I haven't been able to post to gmane newsgroups since TB 3. I keep
getting this dialog:

Sending of message failed.
Please verify that your Mail & Newsgroups account settings are correct
and try again.

But the outgoing server is the same as before, and that server works
with email in TB. I tried both 1and1 and gmail as outgoing servers.

I can't even see how to troubleshoot this. For instance, there's
nothing in maillog.

Anybody else seeing this? Where's the log file?

sean