Re: OT yum rollback (was When will Fedora work again?)

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009, Jerry Amundson wrote:

Except in extreme circumstances (e.g. MySQL) data files are a low
priority. If I'm in such dire straights to need a rollback, it's
because a package, or packages, is/are dead in the water. At that
point the data and/or configuration is moot.
So, I either
1. Wait for a fix.
2. Rollback.

Currently "2." happens manually anyway. By not having such a feature,
what is yum accomplishing?

It is keeping people from expecting:

1. a rollback to convert their data back to the older format
2. rollbacks to work (especially %pre and %post scriptlets to magically reverse themselves)
3. horrible things like "I want to go back to fedora9" to function.

we've been kicking around doing a limited 'downgrade' command that does NOT allow wildcards/globs but it's not done, yet.

-sv