Interesting comments

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Thu Mar 12 22:26:32 UTC 2009

On 2009-03-12, 01:23 GMT, Adam Williamson wrote:
> There's no RH employee whose actual job involves triaging bugs
> in Fedora.

Actually, ehm, there are two of us ... me and one rather
mysterious lady working on anaconda. And yes, of course, I was
for a long the biggest user of Xen (now KVM) in Red Hat Czech.

>>  Considering the problems I (and importantly, others) had with
>>  the HP DC7700 I think I would expect RH to acquire some (it's
>>  a corporate desktop system and I know RHEL customers use
>>  them).

Fortuantely, you usually don't have to use whole computers, but
particular parts -- so yes, there are people inside of Red Hat
how have huge heaps of graphic cards/disk arrays/wifi cards/etc.
And yes, of course they work on Fedora as well (usually not on
QA, but that does slightly different things in RH anyway).

> By the RH QA team. For RHEL. =)

That is correct as far as QA goes, but just don't make it look
like RH employees are not working on Fedora.

> I should add that I'm talking in terms of practicality here,
> and taking into consideration that we have not many active
> triagers trying to triage a very large amount of bugs.

Yes, I totally agree that it is not practicable to ask every
volunteer to reproduce bug as necessary requirement for touching
bugs. Yes, we can do a lot of good without reproducing bugs. But
let's not fooll ourselves, that when we do everything what’s
needed. We may do everything we are able to, and it is certainly
lot and it is very helpful, but there is always space and
challenge for growth.

Best,

Matěj