Re: Fedroa 10 Wedges File System under heavy I/O Load

On 03/15/2009 10:43 AM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 06:23:48 -0700,
>   Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R <caf omen com> wrote:
>> From time to time I back up data from /u, /y, and /var onto
>> an external IDE HD attached with a USB interface as /dev/sde1.
>> The command used is:  cd /; find u y var -print | cpio -pmd /b
>> This has worked well until recently.

   Not addressing the wedge problem directly, but if you use
rdiff-backup or even rsync your backups will likely be much shorter and
the chance for a wedge may be reduced.

   ie
     rsync --delete -aH /u /y /var /b
   or
     for i in /u /y /var
     do
        rdiff-backup $i /b/$i
     done

  NB the slight difference of meaning of the destination directory.

  I prefer rdiff-backup as I keep incrementals for very little disk
additional space.

 gene