Can't install i586 rpm on fedora 11 x86_64 - rawhide

Igor Miletic grejigl-gnomeprevod at yahoo.ca
Tue Mar 17 03:12:15 UTC 2009

Hi,

When trying to install pretty much any i586 rpm I get file conflicts with
x86_64 rpms of the same package.

For example, when installing wine, which comes only in i586 version, it
pulls alsa-lib.i586 as well.  Installation fails due to:
file /usr/share/alsa/cards/RME9652.conf from alsa-lib-1.0.19-3.fc11.i586
installation is in conflict with file from alsa-lib-1.0.19-1.fc11.x86_64
package

There are bunch more of these errors for alsa-lib, most of them are conf
files which are same for both i586 and x86_64 versions. In case of wine
similar thing happens for other dependences, such as: openssl, esound-libs,
openldap (man files), krb5-libs, libXdamage, pulseaudio etc.

This happens for every rpm that I tried to install using : yum install
package-name.i586

Am I missing something? Is there a new way to install i586 rpms on x86_64
system, or i586 compatibility is not any more supported on Fedora 11?

Regards,
Igor