You (olivares) are not allowed to access to (crontab) because of pam configuration.

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 24 22:15:03 UTC 2009

Dear fellow testers,

It has been a while and I have been having troubles editing my crontab.

Even root cannot access it :(

This is telling me something.  I wonder what I need to do to get this fixed.

[root at riohigh ~]# crontab -l

Authentication service cannot retrieve authentication info
You (root) are not allowed to access to (crontab) because of pam configuration.
[root at riohigh ~]# exit
logout

[olivares at riohigh ~]$ /etc/pam.d/system-auth
bash: /etc/pam.d/system-auth: Permission denied
[olivares at riohigh ~]$ su -
Password:
[root at riohigh ~]# cat /etc/pam.d/system-auth
#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
auth        required      pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    pam_unix.so nullok try_first_pass
auth        requisite     pam_succeed_if.so uid >= 500 quiet
auth        required      pam_deny.so

account     required      pam_unix.so
account     sufficient    pam_localuser.so
account     sufficient    pam_succeed_if.so uid < 500 quiet
account     required      pam_permit.so

password    requisite     pam_cracklib.so try_first_pass retry=3
password    sufficient    pam_unix.so sha512 shadow nullok try_first_pass use_authtok
password    required      pam_deny.so

session     optional      pam_keyinit.so revoke
session     required      pam_limits.so
session     [success=1 default=ignore] pam_succeed_if.so service in crond quiet use_uid
session     required      pam_unix.so
[root at riohigh ~]# /etc/pam.d/crontab
-bash: /etc/pam.d/crontab: No such file or directory
[root at riohigh ~]# cat /etc/pam.d/crontab
cat: /etc/pam.d/crontab: No such file or directory
[root at riohigh ~]# dmesg | grep 'avc'
You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root
[root at riohigh ~]# exit

Thanks for any help/advice/suggestions which are offered to see if this problem goes away.

Regards,

Antonio