no sound a day before release

Dear fellow testers,

I have been running rawhide on this computer since Fedora 10 beta and it has been working fine for me in the long run.  Today, I try to play a file and I have no sound :(

Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound
Video: no video

I am using mplayer with -ao alsa, -ao oss extensions and it fails to play wiht above parameters.  I check pulseaudio volume controls and they are maxed out, can't blame pulseaudio(CAN I?), what could it be?

Regards,

Antonio