Jigdo and the release day

Bob Gustafson bobgus at rcn.com
Tue May 5 21:03:12 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 16:54 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> I have here the beta ISO, the snapshot ISO, and the contents of /var/cache/yum
> which I run with cleanup off. When the final release day comes, is there a way I
> can tell jigdo to use that combination to reduce the network traffic and server
> load?
>
> RELATED: can I do some magic on /var/cache/yum to get the old install DVD to use
> the new stuff? My test with createrepo seemed to generate a local repo which
> worked for after the fact install and update, I'm just trying to avoid
> installing obsolete packages and blowing them away again, on a slow machine that
> really rots.
>
> --
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
>    "We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from
> the machinations of the wicked."  - from Slashdot

I think it is possible to use an old DVD (such as a test preview disk)
as one of the repositories for jigdo. Then you only need to download
component rpms that are newer than what is on the DVD.

In theory, you could use this process to get increasingly more recent
test DVDs, using the last test DVD as a repository. You only need to
download the changes. Would speed up the Test-Change-Test cycle too.