"custom install" issues

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat May 9 17:49:41 UTC 2009

This isn't only an FC11 question, but I hit it trying to add FC11-x86_64 to a
laptop. Since then I have come to suspect that the 32 bit version might not have
the problem...

First question, just for curiosity, what is the software which runs the
partitioning, raid creation, LVM, etc, during an install? Is it something I
know, run with options to look different or only available at install time?

In any case, here's the problem: I have a system I want to use for a dual boot
install. It's partitioned as thus:
   sda1	application reserved
   sda2	was VISTA
   sda3	boot
   sda4	extended
   sda5	 swap
   sda6	 root
   sda7	 home

I want to install a new release on sda2, but I can't put the boot in an lv, so I
need a boot and then sda2 can be a pv som I can have my root, home, and
application pieces.

What I tried was to shrink the partition sda7 by 100MB (lots of free room), but
that doesn't seem to free any space of a boot sda8 at the end of the extended.
The current install, FC10, is production 32 bit, and I can't mess that up.

Is there some secret way to tell the installer that shrinking the sda7 makes
room for sda8? I can install on a USB key, but that's not the object, not is
making the whole sda2 ext3 instead of ext4, which will make performance
comparisons meaningless.

Ideas?
--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>