Turning Off Sendmail In Fedora 11

G.Wolfe Woodbury ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us
Mon May 11 21:34:14 UTC 2009

Robert L Cochran wrote:
> I notice that sendmail is turned on by default in Fedora 11. I would
> like to turn it off. What is the impact of doing this -- will I cause a
> problem with other services like httpd? I haven't really paid attention
> to trends in sendmail management these days.

Sendmail is enabled so that there is a local mail transfer agent (MTA).
The default install is /not/ network enabled, one has to edit the config
files to allow network (incoming) access to mail.

> Should I be reviewing the messages that are emailed to the root user?

In general, yes.
More proper is to edit the last line of the /etc/aliases file to forward
root's mail to a real user. [Don't forget to run newaliases after making
changes to /etc/aliases.]

Personally, I have /etc/aliases send me root's mail and then I have
procmail sort it into a separate Thunderbird folder for special attention.

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury