newbie guide to asterisk on f11?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue May 12 22:02:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 17:30 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Tue, 12 May 2009 14:20:26 -0700
> Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > This is called a metapackage, and I've been told they're frowned on in
> > Fedora. I've no idea why
>
> Well, I have noticed you can easily do a "yum install metapackage"
> to install the junk, but when you decide you don't want it, a
> "yum erase metapackage" will only get rid of the empty metapackage
> (since the dependencies only go one way). That can certainly be
> confusing and may have something to do with the frowning :-).

That's just the long-known issue of orphans. There are utilities to
detect (and remove) orphans available, if it's important to you, and
it's hardly restricted to metapackages, it's the same for all packages
(if you install an app that needs libfoo, then later remove the app,
libfoo remains).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey