Experiences upgrading omen.com to Rawhide

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon May 25 19:06:38 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-24 at 10:58 -0700, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:

> The advanced volume control app now starts the mixer.
> May I suggest it be called what it is - mixer.

It was never called mixer in the menus. It was called 'Volume Control'.
The new 'Volume Control' is the simplified, PA-based one. This is the
old one, which we're providing for fallback purposes for cases which the
new Volume Control no longer properly handles, so 'Advanced Volume
Control' was the best name I could come up with.

Calling it a 'mixer' is problematic for anyone who is unaware of the
fact that, in computer operating systems, the application you use to
change volume levels is often called a 'mixer'. If you don't know this,
the name 'mixer' really doesn't imply that you can use it to set volume
levels.

> Previously reported problems with the mixer not being
> able to select CD/AUX remain.

Please elaborate. The 'Advanced Volume Control' mixer (command name
gst-mixer) is just the same code that was called gnome-volume-control in
Fedora 10. It should work as it did in F10 and earlier. The new one is
known not yet to be able to do input switching, which is a major reason
we're also providing the old one.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey