RCs for Everyone (was One (more) week slip of Fedora 11 Release)

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Fri May 29 16:25:17 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-29 at 10:01 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Just a short comment: Years ago someone made daily RCs avilable via an
> Rsync server. Thus it was very easy to get the latest RC -- you just
> rsynced the installer ISO you already had using rsync. As only small
> parts of the ISO changed from day to day it was just a few minutes task
> even with an not that fast internet connection.

We had that not too long ago.  The amount of people trying to rsync it
made the server completely unavailable and nobody got the bits.  It was
a disaster.  Too many people are just eager to "Get the latest bits"
whether they'll do useful testing with them or not, which ruins it for
the people who desperately need to verify a bug fix or sanity test a
compose.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (http://jkeating.livejournal.com)
Fedora Project          (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating)