Screen freezes after some minutes with the nouveau driver

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Nov 7 00:37:12 UTC 2009

Joachim Backes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if this has already been reported: I'm running F12 with the
> nouveau driver, and after locking the screen with the screensaver
> applet, it takes some minutes until the system freezes completely (mouse
> cannot be moved, no keyboard input is possible). Only a hard reset
> helps. This happens since 2 days.
>
> Anybody has seen this? All actual F12 updates are applied.

I have had exactly those symptoms with earlier releases of Fedora on
some hardware. OTOH, on other systems they were fine.

I have two HP DC7700 SFF desktops, one is fine with CentOS5, but I've
given up on Fedora on the other - Fedora has never done what I
wanted,and currently can't be said to work at all.

Which all goes to illustrate the point, it depends on the hardware and
it depends on the software. You really need to go into some details
about your specific hardware, presumably that driver works for some people.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait