Fedora 12 has gone gold

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 07:33:41 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 10:39:23PM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 09:55:03 +0530,
>   Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hopefully Nouveau gets 3D support within a couple of releases as well.
> > Getting rid of the biggest pain of proprietary drivers would be one
> > giant step forward for Linux on the desktop.
>
> Yeah. While I wouldn't go out and buy nvidia cards I have a couple in systems
> I got as scrap and it would be nice to have 3d on them. I don't trust the
> nvidia stuff not to screw things up for helping test the nouveau drivers,
> so I have been stuck with only 2d support for a good chunk of F12's
> development.
>
> The nouveau guys have made a surprising amount of progress and I think there
> is a good chance they will have good 3d support 2 or 3 releases down the road.
> (Though I would like to see Red Hat help out more to cut this to 1 or 2
> releases, since I think the current situation hurts Fedora.) I'd also
> like to see people move away from Cg and use the free and more portable
> equivalents.

I had the good fortune to meet Ben Skeggs, a nouveau developer at Red
Hat's Brisbane office, and tell him how effective some of his work has
been so far.  (I have a laptop with NVidia, not by choice but through
a weird set of circumstances you can find on my blog from last year.)

I have full KMS now on this laptop, and while there's no 3D yet, I
still managed to surprise a bunch of people here in Brisbane by
plugging my laptop into an external LCD TV, and having it just work.
I used this as a great example of how 6 months in Fedora-land can
bring a lot of changes.

By the way, I also met Dave Airlie and told him my r770-based ATI card
was also rocking, with the added bonus of 3D support.  I'm really
happy with the progress in F12 and I hope other people enjoy it too!