IPv6 and yum

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 00:31:46 UTC 2009

I was very pleasantly surprised to see that yum is now trying to connect
to respositories over IPv6.  Being on the SF Bay Area, my machine likes
to try to connect to linux.mirrors.es.net or ftp.usf.edu, both of which
have an IPv6 address.

On the down side, the connection often hangs sometime after the 3-way
handshake.  Yum doesn't seem to time out even after several hours.  I
end up having to dig up a handful of PID's and killing them by hand.

Is anyone else using IPv6 and seeing this behavior?  I can get to other
sites like www.kame.net and have no problem with viewing web pages over
IPv6.  Are the yum mirrors just fakey over IPv6?  Is the net congested
and larger transfers like yum's simply fail?  I've slapped a wireshark
on the line, but true to form, a watched connection never fails.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht