Fedora 12 has gone gold

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Fri Nov 13 18:44:23 UTC 2009

On 11/10/2009 09:24 AM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 09:02 -0800, John Poelstra wrote:
>>
>> My impressions from this meeting were slightly different :-)
>>
>> We noted that there are no known reasons that we are "not go" and that
>> we will continue testing until Wednesday when QA expects to have
>> completed the testing matrix.  Maybe we are separated by semantics, but
>> "gone gold" or "completely done" was not an impression I left the
>> meeting with.
>>
>> http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2009-11-10/fedora-meeting.2009-11-10-01.01.log.html
>
> Our impressions are indeed different.  The go / no go meeting was the
> point of no return.  Once we go, there is no going back.  We've made a
> commitment to go with what we have, and let the various teams that need
> time to prepare for the release to start their work, as much of that
> work cannot be pulled back once done.

Let's say all of these things next time and be clear about what our next
steps are. I will try to help with that.  Re-reading the meeting log,
none of the things announced about "going GOLD" were said at the
meeting.  The "Go/No-Go" meetings for Alpha and Beta were handled
differently in that we kept optimistically testing after them vs. saying
we were "GO" and abruptly moving on to other things.

That was the disconnect for me.

John