fc13 kernels

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sun Nov 22 15:06:46 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 06:04:28PM -0800, Rob Healey wrote:

> On kernels 2.6.32-0.48* and kerenl-2.6.32-0.51*, I can install
> them, and then booting is what the problem comes in.  It gives me
> the three color chasing bar, and it completes its cycle just
> fine.  It then flips to a black screen with a flashing underline
> and nothing else.  I was wondering if it just needed some time to
> time out some bugs, but nothing more than the black screen...
>
> I know that my system is not hard locked up because I can press
> [Ctrl-Alt-Del], and it goes into reboot mode and shows everything
> that it is shutting down....

It sounds that you are booting just fine but you have troubles with
video.  The first sanity check in such situation is to see if you
can boot to a shell prompt.  Drop from a boot line things like
"quiet" and "rhgb" (you can edit that, not permanently, from a grub
menu screen) and add "3" instead.  Do you get a login prompt?  If
not then when your screen goes away?  Does "nomodeset 3" change
anything and if not then what about "nomodeset 1"?  Once in shell
then looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log may bring some clues.  _After_
you checked that and saved a copy what are effects of 'startx' from
a shell prompt?  Could you login over a network when this is up?
Does selinux in a "permissive" state makes a difference?  Maybe you
do need "nomodeset" on your hardware?  If this is the case then you
are in a bugzilla time.

I have one machine where literally the last minute changes before
F12 release resulted in a necessity of "nohz=off" to make it work at
all.

   Michal