Enhancing the upgrade/install experience

I need some help.....

During testing of different rawhide releases (alpha, beta, rc's, etc) I usually have an existing system and would like to install a "duplicate" of my old system. This is also true if I upgrade from release to release. I would like to get a list of existing packages (rpm -qa | sort > package_list) and somehow feed this into yum (or?) and have the packages installed if not already installed. I would also need a list of packages that could not be installed. This way I could start with the live cd or install dvd, do a fresh install and then update to a duplicate of my old system. So, is this functionality available? Can it be?

Jim