NVIDIA / nouveau thread branch

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Fri Nov 27 15:57:50 UTC 2009

On Nov 25, 2009, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> Uh? If the nouveau kernel module is loaded, the nvidia kernel module
> refuses to load, complaining that another module is in control of the
> hardware.

And even the “nv” driver fails to work, with a similar complaint.

I had to blacklist nouveau on an ancient (8YO) notebook, because with
nouveau X wouldn't work on it.  The nouveau X driver failed in some way
I can't remember, and nv complained about the hardware being controlled
by another driver already.

On the happier side, the deblobbed nouveau driver in Linux-libre
Freed-ora builds works nicely on another (5YO IIRC) notebook, so it can
now change resolutions and control independently its own LCD and the TV
it's connected to through a VGA cord.  At last! :-)

Now if only we managed to reverse engineer (or get sources for) those
blobs allegedly released under GPLv2, we'd have another hardware
supplier with Free 3D acceleration!